Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

OOC and IC: A Guide To RPG's Forum and RP tab Structure

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

OOC and IC: A Guide To RPG's Forum and RP tab Structure

Tips: 8.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Hello all! Over the last week it has come to my attention that there is a great deal of confusion as to how our Out of Character (OOC) and In Character (IC) structural system is laid out. Even I wasn't quite sure of just how specific it is or is not meant to be, until recently. After all, one of the greatest things about RPGateway is how much wiggle room there is for our individual tastes and preferences.

However, grey area can be as confusing as it can be forgiving. There are a few things I feel desperately need to be clarified:

1. Threads meant strictly for OOC planning DO NOT belong in the IC forum. If you are posting your character bio and a request for new RPers, but not any IC content, it goes in the OOC forum.

2. Beyond that, the use of OOC threads is largely up to you! The OOC forum and its subforums are meant to help members organize their RP and enlist more players. Truly, if you make use of the OOC forum for planning and recruiting, you will have a much easier time building a bigger, better RP. Here are some things to consider:

• Combining your OOC planning (bio, rules, contact requirements, etc) with your IC content can leave players unsure of just what they're getting into. It can be more effective to finish your planning elsewhere so that everyone knows where they're starting when they join the IC thread.
  • RP is a fickle beast! Lots of OOC planning threads are created that never actually go anywhere at the time. Starting this in an IC forum may be considered a waste of space, and really, you shouldn't be opening threads with purely OOC content in an IC forum anyway (see point number 1, above.)
  • Use of OOC subforums are also left to member discretion. Remember, however, that if you already have an OOC thread in the OOC forum, that acts as a request for more members in your IC thread. You're encouraged to re-open and bump that OOC thread, rather than opening an RPers Wanted thread.

3. I want to remind everyone that there is a new IC forum available to you! For those of you who haven't noticed it yet, Remæus was kind enough to open a Private RP forum alongside the other IC forums. RPGateway is a community that welcomes all kinds of RP, and one-on-one styles are no exception. However, considering how quickly private stories tend to move and therefore how rapidly they overpopulate the first page of any RP forum, it just makes more sense to provide one-on-one RP with its very own forum. Let me lay out a few reminders!

• The private RP forum was not created to section off mature content. All RPGateway rules apply there, including those involving excessive vulgarity and blatant sexual content.
  • Also, the forum was not created to open a breeding ground for "net speak" and one-liner posts, despite the fears some may have to this effect. In essence, the forums are intended for forum RP, and therefore forum-level posting. Remæus has put a great deal of effort into providing members with a chatroom for the aforementioned.
  • In reference to the above, I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that every window into which we type our posts comes equipped with a spell-checker and a red-to-green text-warning that informs when a post is considered too short to post. These are not strict rules, but are general guidelines that every member should consider when making use of the services this website provides.

Moderator edit: This is an edit made to this post regarding the Private Roleplay forum. This forum is actually closed. For more information, please refer HERE. Thank you, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

4. The Multiverse is a source of great confusion for many members. Remæus has posted the rules for the Multiverse at the top of its forum:

Forum rules
There's no need to post rules or requirements for joining here!
This whole forum is one big roleplay, with no specific rules or guidelines.
If you want to create a roleplay in a single thread, this probably isn't where it needs to be.

Remember – this whole forum is one persistent world –
your characters are free to move from topic to topic here with no restrictions.

Consider it this way:

RoleGateway's Multiverse is a single roleplay contained within this website. It is its own massive game where elements from multiple "universes" can co-exist. Every event in a Multiverse thread is persistent across every other Multiverse thread, just at a different place within the "multiverse." Each thread corresponds to either an event or location in the Multiverse (depends on how the thread-creator meant for that thread to be), and your character can only exist in one place at time. Anyone with a character(s) in the Multiverse can participate in a thread. They are constant, and your character(s) can interact in the threads as you see fit. You can join at any time, so long as you don't violate the persistence of that world. Planning is inherently unnecessary (but nonetheless encouraged), as the storyline(s) are driven by conflict between characters' personalities and motives.

Threads in IC forums outside of the Multiverse are not connected to events in the Multiverse.

I sincerely hope this is helpful to everyone. Mods and admins work hard to keep the place running as smoothly as it does, but everyone must do their part! If you notice a misplaced thread or need something deleted, moved, split, merged, or whatever else, remember to smack that "Report" button at the top of the post/thread. It will inform us immediately of your request!

What is said above is what we need to know about the Forums for Play-by-Post Roleplays, but now we shall focus on the new Roleplay Tab that has been implemented on RPG. It is fairly simple to use and hopefully it will be used more often in the future. With that said I am going to explain how it is used.

The Roleplay Tab and it's sub-tabs:

• The Roleplay tab is located at the top of the website next to the Account tab. When you hover over the Roleplay tab three sub tabs appear: My Roleplays, My Characters, and Add New Roleplay.

• My Roleplays: This is where you see and manage the roleplays YOU have created. Here you will be able to accept characters, read posts, edit your roleplays accordingly and add new places to your roleplays (more on that later.)

• My Characters: This is where you manage your characters and edit their bios, descriptions, equipment, etc. for a roleplay.

• Add New Roleplay: In this tab you will be able to create your own genuine Roleplay. When you click on this Tab you will be directed to a form that you must fill out. In this form you will give your Roleplay a title, a brief description, give it tags so that others may search and find your roleplay easily, a thumbnail (Picture) for your roleplay, a setting (as in, where does it take place: Futuristic on another planet or Fantasy in the land of Dreams), then you may select if you want to personally approve characters or allow all characters without approval, And lastly you will be able to add the rules and an introduction for your roleplay. This makes it easier than formatting a post to your liking and it just becoming a cluster of words that you get lost in. The roleplay will be organized into sections for you, and will save you a lot of trouble.

Managing your Roleplay:

When you have successfully created a roleplay it will then be available in the "my Roleplays" tab. Once you click on your roleplay, tabs will appear above the introduction. As of right now we are going to focus on a few specific tabs: Characters, places, chat, Posting, and OOC.

• Characters tab: Here you will be able to manage all the characters in your RP. If you decided to regulate who you accept in your RP then the character tab is what you will use to deny or accept them. You will be notified when someone decides to join your roleplay and makes a character. Through this tab you will easily be able to read every char's bio without the hassle of getting your OOC thread all cluttery. Here is also where you will create a character for your own Roleplay.

• Places Tab: This tab allows you to make your Roleplay more interactive with actually having different places. Here you can add a place such as Miami, Florida and it will be one of the places you will be in during your roleplay. Then you can move from there and go to Japan or whatever place your imagination may conjure up.

• Chat Tab: This tab may be used for your Roleplay planning or for Chat RPing. I mean It's pretty straight forward, it takes you to a chat.

• Posting Tab: This tab is what you will use to create a new post and read the posts of others. If the posts do not show up immediately, please click the activity button to refresh.

• OOC Tab: Is where you will create an OOC thread. If you need to read about OOC threads then look at what ThatsNotPoetry wrote above. Aside from that, it will contain the OOC for your Roleplay for easy access. That way you do not have to search through the OOC sub-forum for your thread.

Joining a RolePlay through the Roleplay tab:

Joining a roleplay through the Roleplay tab is just as easy as joining a roleplay on the forum if not even more simple. First, you click on the roleplay tab and it will take you to a list of roleplays that you may be interested to join. Next, you will click on the roleplay that you are interested to join and it will take you to the introduction of the roleplay with more tabs above that. Here is an example of such a Roleplay: roleplay/memento-mori-a-persona-iii-roleplay ; as you can see, at the top right corner of the roleplay there is a little boxx that tells you if characters must be approved or not. This box also links you directly to the rules of the roleplay and gives you a link to where you can create a character for the Roleplay.

Creating a character: Creating a character is very straightforward, just follow the format given and you should be fine. Make sure to add anything that the Game Master wishes you to have on your profile though.

In Conclusion:

The Roleplay tab exists to make your roleplays more organized and easier to manage and truly should be taken advantage of. With that said, the usage of the Roleplay Tab is no excuse to spam or get completely off-topic and not RP whatsoever. If you are familiar with creating characters in the Multiverse, then you have no problem doing the same with other types of Roleplays.
I am available as an RP mentor should you seek to improve.
I draw things that you may like.
I like Ronald Jenkees and you might, too.

I require a certain level of writing skill in my stories. Don't be insulted, I just prefer to RP novel-level material. (I, I, I, me, me, me. I sound like such a jerk.)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 8.00 INK in return for their work.

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Re: OOC and IC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:52 am

You might want to add something about the multiverse.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rokku on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:35 am

Are you guys gonna move the unfitting threads to the proper categories then? I'm still seeing IC forums clogged up with private RPs and threads that should be in OOC...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rokku
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:58 pm

Kronos wrote:You might want to add something about the multiverse.

The Multiverse is a single roleplay contained within RoleGateway. It is its own roleplay where elements from multiple "universes" can co-exist. Every event in a Multiverse thread is persistent across every other Multiverse thread, just at a different place within the "multiverse." Each thread corresponds to either an event or location in the Multiverse (depends on how the thread-creator meant for that thread to be), and your character can only exist in one place at time.

Anyone with a character(s) in the Multiverse can participate in a thread. They are constant, and your character(s) can interact in the threads as you see fit. You can join at any time, so long as you don't violate the persistence of that world. Planning is inherently unnecessary (but nonetheless encouraged), as the storyline(s) are driven by conflict between characters' personalities and motives.
Alvin Toffler wrote:The illiterates of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Take a moment and consider joining my Patreon group, where I share personal development updates and plans for the future...

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Re: OOC and IC: A Guide To RPG's Forum and RP tab Structure

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Taylor711 on Fri May 06, 2011 5:57 pm

Thanks for the info it helped a lot.
Have you ever noticed that the word 'bed' actually looks like a bed?

Taylor711
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sylwyn on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:54 am

I have a question about editing places after they have already been created. I did not know where else to post this. After I create a new place, with the intention of going back later and adding a picture for it, I go in, upload the 100x100 picture from my files, and save my changes. However, the icon never shows up, and the square for a picture always reads as "No Image Available" or whatever the default is. Why is this, and how do I fix it?

Sylwyn
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:28 am

I just tested it with an RP of mine, and the same thing happened. I don't know the technical, technical reasons behind it, but it looks like you've gotta put that picture in when you first make the place. You also can't edit the name of a place.

Part of it has to do, I think, with the fact that once you build the place, it's built into the chat system. Seems a bit more hard-wired and not able to change as quickly. It's possible that the image will show up eventually. I know I had a character avatar I wanted to change, and it didn't show up for ages. It works now, though, so I'm quite happy.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sylwyn on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:36 pm

It's all right. Thanks for your help, and you're right, it does show up eventually. I saw the one I put up finally appeared. I will just have to update all the avatars for each place I have and wait. Next time, I will go questing in my files to find the pictures before I put them up. :)

Sylwyn
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sylwyn on Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:55 am

Okay, I've been searching everywhere for an answer to this question: How in the forgotten gods' names do you add someone as a Co-GM to your game?. No one I've spoken with knows how, and being in the process of building an entire world, the ease of another person or two that I trust to assist with this unhindered would be great!

Sylwyn
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Remæus on Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:50 am

Sylwyn wrote:Okay, I've been searching everywhere for an answer to this question: How in the forgotten gods' names do you add someone as a Co-GM to your game?

It's /addGameMaster USERNAME in your roleplay's OOC chat! There are a few other commands, including /addBuilder, which add varying levels of permissions.

Hope that helps!

Remæus
Architect
Member for 19 years
Contributor Progenitor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Builder Greeter Beta Tester Arc Warden Party Starter Codeweaver Group Theory Person of Interest Streamwatcher Helmsman Recruiter Maiden Voyager Tipworthy Salesman Property Buyer Visual Appeal Concierge Cult Leader Lifegiver Storyteller Donated! Anomaly Hunter Giver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!