Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Designers Wanted: Inquire Within!

a topic in Growth, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

New to the literary world? Just want to improve on your already strong literary background? Get tips on your language skills here.

Please Read Before Posting

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circ on Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:29 pm

Welcome to Growth. This is a forum dedicated to helping writers achieve their creative potential via feedback from other, perhaps more experienced, writers. This will often take the form of a critique, but a helpful and kind one that isn't designed to put anyone down.

1. I don't want feedback.

If you aren't looking for feedback, please say so in your post and include (NFB) in the subject line. This helps us, the Mercenary Spectators, do our jobs more effectively. If you do this, keep in mind that your post may be moved to a more appropriate section of the forum; a shadow will be kept on Growth for easy reference.

2. I want feedback.

Great! Just post your writing and we'll hop right on it. Of course, if you are looking for a specific kind of feedback (or avoiding it), please say so in your post. This helps those giving feedback avoid superfluous analysis that you're already aware of or not really wanting to see.

3. I'm not sure.

If you aren't sure, don't worry! We won't hurt your feelings or condescend. If you feel we have, please tell us so that we can fix it.

Remember, Growth is for everyone, and it is here to help.
conditio sine qua non

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Circ
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby miyumi on Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:07 am

In the writing prompt thread, please only post either:

1- a new writing prompt when the old one has been posted on and has been up long enough

2- a short story or poem based off the writing prompt.

If it does not at least refer to each of the two words in the writing prompt, it will be moved. Random Shorts is for any random short stories that you wish not to have their own thread, and where any shorts that don't belong in the writing prompt thread will be moved to. Random Poetry is the corresponding thread for the poems. Thank you for keeping to the purpose of the topics.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

miyumi
Member for 19 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Artwork Rep

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Yami-Dokuro on Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:48 am

Artwork Reputation

Since the reputation system was introduced and the kinks straightened out I thought I'd bring this to the attention of the Artwork Forum.

When you rate a picture please don't instantly give it a five star, judge it. Give it what YOU think it deserves based on creativity, the effort put into it maybe ask the creator how they did to get a little insight before you cast your final vote on them and remember, just because it doesn't have colour or someone who has never drawn before decides to give it a shot doesn't mean it deserves a 1 star. Think.

Alot of effort and time goes into each and every art piece and that results in some epic artwork here. Now, the reputation system does have its advantages. Users who have alot of reputation will have a larger say in the creative community, for instance we might ask someone with high reputation to assist us in a contest or perhaps even if they excel enough, join us. There are many rewards for those that exude high quality artwork, for those that doubt themselves remember, it's not just the quality that's judged, I could give a piece five stars because the artist put so much effort into it.

Here's some basic criteria to remember when you judge a piece of art:

Quality - The visual quality of a piece, how eyecatching or appealing it is.

Effort - The physical and mental effort an artist has poured into the piece.

Time - The time taken to create the piece, if something high quality was made in 2 hours great, the longer it has taken the better the finished piece usually is.

Expression - The feelings and expressions portrayed by the piece, if the piece is uplifting and brings a smile to your face then it's expressing a joyful feeling.

Thank You, Design Team
Last edited by Circ on Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited the wording and prettied up, ready for sticky

Yami-Dokuro
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Artwork Rep

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pixelgami on Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Thanks, Yami! This is a great reminder.

pixelgami
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor

Poetry & Captialization

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Circ on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:19 pm

In light of Matthias' capitalization quanderies, I felt it would be helpful to supply you all with something more authoritative on the topic.

See this article, Capitalization in poetry, and see if it helps. By-and-large, most of the people on this site are using capitalization correctly when writing their poems, and their poems are reasonably well-constructed.

Circ
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Re: Poetry & Captialization

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lykaios on Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Capitalisation in poetry is entirely the poet's decision - there's no right or wrong. Poetry has always been a personal art form - it's not bound by rules unless you choose to be restricted by them.

Some people capitalise every line, and that's fine, it's just a rather outdated way of doing it, but nonetheless fine if that's what the poet chooses.

Most modern poetry doesn't capitalise every line but either omits capitals full stop or only capitalises at the begining of sentences in poetry. If you look around the bookshps at some kodern poetry books (last ten years or so) then you'll see what I mean.

But yeah - do what you feel comfortable with; there are no rules about capitalisation, despite what schools teach you.
The year is 2036. It is early November and it is raining. Rusting cars are parked on the sides of the cracked roads, untouched for over two decades. Disasters happened here, and the survivors barely remember what they survived . . .

For more info and to join, click here: roleplay/the-desolates/

Lykaios
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Infinity on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:55 pm

Lykaios wrote:Capitalisation in poetry is entirely the poet's decision - there's no right or wrong. Poetry has always been a personal art form - it's not bound by rules unless you choose to be restricted by them.

Some people capitalise every line, and that's fine, it's just a rather outdated way of doing it, but nonetheless fine if that's what the poet chooses.

Most modern poetry doesn't capitalise every line but either omits capitals full stop or only capitalises at the begining of sentences in poetry. If you look around the bookshps at some kodern poetry books (last ten years or so) then you'll see what I mean.

But yeah - do what you feel comfortable with; there are no rules about capitalisation, despite what schools teach you.

I generally agree with this. While I do understand why there would be rules in the art of poetry and such, I believe that the way the writing is expressed is completely and entirely the poet's decision. Even if the grammar was broken and the capitalization completely off in terms of normal writing, poetry isn't restricted by such bounds. I tend to capitalize a tad abnormally in alot of my poetry, as opposed to others, but I don't believe it makes it wrong by any account.

Infinity
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:54 pm

Howdy-hey, guys and gals!

Are you a writer, artist, filmmaker, photographer, or any sort of visionary with a passion for what you do? Is your mind always churning out new ideas that you'd love to see become reality?

Most of all, do you want to be an active helping hand in the look and feel of our developing community?

Yes? Great! Then we want to hear from you!

With 2011 just around the corner, RolePlayGateway finds itself looking for creative, motivated individuals to take up an orange name and join our new team of Designers!

As a Designer on RolePlayGateway, you will be part of a tight-knit team working to improve the visual experience of our ever-expanding userbase. You will work closely with your fellow Designers and take projects from "braindump" to concept stage -- all the way to completion! it's a rewarding experience where collaboration is key, but so is having fun!

Interested?

Send both myself and my co-team leader, Kai a Private Message and let us to get to know you a bit!

Tell us who you are and about your history in creative expression. Why do you think you'd be a great fit for our team? Have you worked with teams to produce content in the past? What were the results? What is it about you that will positively affect interaction with other Designers? What can you personally bring to the table?

Don't hesitate to show off some of your work! Wow us! Amaze us! Act like you're pitching a product -- you!

Hope to hear from you guys soon! This application will be open for a while.

All the best!

~Sato & Kai!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Are you a writer, artist, filmmaker, photographer, or any sort of visionary with a passion for what you do? Is your mind always churning out new ideas that you'd love to see become reality?

Most of all, do you want to be an active helping hand in the look and feel of our developing community?

With 2011 just around the corner, RolePlayGateway finds itself looking for creative, motivated individuals to take up an orange name and join our new team of Designers!

As a Designer on RolePlayGateway, you will be part of a tight-knit team working to improve the visual experience of our ever-expanding userbase. You will work closely with your fellow Designers and take projects from "braindump" to concept stage -- all the way to completion! it's a rewarding experience where collaboration is key, but so is having fun!

Interested? Great!

Send both myself and my co-team leader, Kai a Private Message and let us to get to know you a bit!

Tell us who you are and about your history in creative expression. Why do you think you'd be a great fit for our team? Have you worked with teams to produce content in the past? What were the results? What is it about you that will positively affect interaction with other Designers? What can you personally bring to the table?

Don't hesitate to show off some of your work! Wow us! Amaze us! Act like you're pitching a product -- you!

All the best!

~Sato & Kai!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Interested? Great!

Send both Cynique and Kai a Private Message and let us to get to know you a bit!

All the best!

~Sato & Kai!

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TrueConnection on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:37 pm

I tend to capitalize formally in most of my poetry (yes, first in every line), but like every other element of the writing, I think of it as up to the writer to come up with a clever way to employ the language and grammar to achieve his objectives. Much like "visual poetry" can be used to express something (in terms of how the whole looks) that you wouldn't get by standard arrangement, nonstandard grammatical arrangement, if used with a bit of skill, could achieve a similar effect.

TrueConnection
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zephyr on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:55 pm

Poetry is as much visual as it is linguistic. If the author of the poem sees it fit to purposely misspell a word or neglect the use of capitalization, then their views are correct in the respect that it is their poem.
Hello, friends...

Zephyr
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby songstar13 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:59 pm

I am of the same opinion that capitalization is a completely optional convention in poetry. I tend to go the route of leaving capitals out of my poetry for the most part, as I feel it makes the lines blend together more...like they are one continuous stream of ideas rather than a few self-contained phrases smashed together in a few lines of pretty language. I also recognize that capitalization can bring special emphasis to certain words in a manner that cannot be achieved in another manner. Poetry is art, and art has no rules.

songstar13
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

[OOC] Fallout: RT -- The GM's Guide to Playing

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xavirne on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:31 pm

Hello and welcome to Fallout: Red Texas. This is the GM's guide to playing. Here you will find pertinent information that will not only progress the story, but it will also affect your characters. If, at any point, you are confused about something, please PM your GM (that's me) and she will address the question to the best of her knowledge.

Now, without further ado, let's hash out the super basics....
Crushing roleplay hopes and dreams since 1989.
WARNING: Likely to "poof" like a ninja.
Yes, I'm a bitch. Get over it. B|

Xavirne
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

[OOC] New Thread

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FenRawr on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:14 pm

Talk, Brainstorm, Questions
roleplay/the-way-of-survival/

FenRawr
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Not In Use.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkunkishBlue on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:34 pm

Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet Not being Used Yet. . Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet.
~SkunkishBlue!
In the Land of the Dead
I'm darkside royalty
I'm far renownd in the underground
And you can't take that from me

SkunkishBlue
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Not In Use.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkunkishBlue on Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:36 pm

Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet Not being Used Yet. . Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet. Not being Used Yet.

SkunkishBlue
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!